Russell Motor Cars
RUSSELL ARCHIVAL PHOTOS

If you have other original Russell pictures, or information about
 any of these images,
please email russell-knight@shaw.ca

Russells in Toronto 1905
Russell Model A cars on display at City Hall in 1905.  T.A. Russell is behind the wheel of the closest car.  July, 1905, ads stated that five Russells had departed on a tour of Ontario and Quebec.  This scene may be the tour's departure.  Click the image for a larger view.


1905 Russell
This CCM postcard shows a 1905 Russell Model A with lights and top.  Click the image for a larger view.


1906
                Russell
A1906 Russell Model B, complete with accessory top and windshield.  Note the Maple Leaf crest below the driver's seat.  This crest has been found on at least one surviving Model B.  Click the image for a larger view.


1906 Russell
This 1906 Russell Model B belonged to Mr. Udo Schrader of Saskatoon.  He was a partner with B.E. Dutcher in the Imperial Land and Mortgage Company (later Dutcher-Schrader Co.).  Also in the car is Ernest Schrader and two other unidentified men.  Note the single acetylene headlight mounted on the dash.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Courtesy of Saskatoon Public Library, item #PH-91-158)


1906 Russell
This is another picture of Udo Schrader's 1906 Russell Model B, alongside a 1907 REO.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Courtesy of Saskatoon Public Library, Item #LH-2940-1)


1906 Russell
This third picture of the Schrader Russell Model B appears to have been taken later than the others, as the car is looking a little worn.  Note the Canadian Maple Leaf on the side of the body.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Courtesy of Saskatoon Public Library, Item #PH-91-159)


1906 Russell Model C
A 1906 Russell Model C at the "World of Autos" show in Montreal, 1906.  The four cylinder model C is identified by its longer hood and dropped front axle with semi-elliptical springs.  At the wheel is F. L. D. Robertson, manager of The Eastern Automobile Co., and C. M. Ricketts, sales manager of C.C.M.


1906 Russell
This is a 1906 Russell Model B two-cylinder touring.  The occasion was the 1906 visit of Governor General Earl Grey to the File Hills Reserve in Saskatchewan.  Cree leader Walter Dieter is delivering a welcoming address to the Governor General (in the rear seat), who served Canada from 1904 until 1911.  The car behind appears to be an identical Russell Model B.


1906 Russell
This is another picture of the Governor General's visit to File Hills Reserve, Saskatchewan.  The third car is probably a Russell also, although it has headlights which the others do not have.


1906 Russells
This image shows a group of dignitaries visiting a First Nations reserve in southern Alberta, October 1906.  It is uncertain if it is the same tour as the above photos, but the car on the left may be carrying the Governor General.  The two cars on the left are 1906 Russells.  Click the image for a larger view.


1906 Russells
This is a closeup of the previous picture, showing only the two Russell cars.  Click the image for a larger view.


1906 Russell
This is the first new car to be brought to Prince Edward island.  It was purchased by William K. Rogers in April, 1906, and is a 1906 Model B.  Rogers quickly became a leading automobile activist during the years that P.E.I. banned or restricted automobile travel on the island.  He was the first person to receive a ticket for driving on a day when autos were prohibited and proceeded to carry on an extended court case over the matter.  Click the image for a larger view.   (source:  P.E.I. archives and History of Prince Edward Island Motoring book.)


1906 Russell
An early Russell driving up Capilano Road in North Vancouver, BC.  The column mounted shift lever as well as the shape of the radiator make it a 1906.   The elliptical front springs make it a four cylinder Model C (Source: Vancouver Archives)


1906 Russell
This 1906 Russell Model C belonged to Mr. Sydney Vantreight of Saanich, B.C., near Victoria.  The Vantreight family had a very successful strawberry farm on the Saanich Peninsula.  In later years they grew and sold daffodils.   This car has accessory headlights and windshield, and a curious object mounted on the left side of the dash - perhaps a horn?  (Source: Saanich Archives)


1906 Russell
Plimley Automobile Co. Ltd. sold Russells, along with a selection of other makes, from this showroom on Government St. in Victoria, B.C.  This circa 1910 image shows a 1906 Russell Model C touring (third car from the right).  Perhaps these were hire cars (taxis) provided by Plimley.  Click the image to view the full photo.  (Source:  B.C. Archives, Item #A-03052)


1906 Russell
In a well-promoted publicity stunt, this 1906 Russell Model C raced against an ice boat on frozen Lake Ontario, winning "by a nose".  This car ended up for sale in Victoria, B.C. in 1907, perhaps after a cross-Canada promotional tour.  The picture appeared in Industrial Canada in February, 1909.  Click the image for a larger view.


1906 Russell
This picture, from Industrial Canada March 1908, shows a 1906 Russell Model B in the hollow tree in Stanley Park (Vancouver).  The Hollow Tree has been a popular photo stop since the horse and buggy days, and remains so today.  Further down the page are more Hollow Tree Russell pictures.


1906 Russells
This picture of a pair of two-cylinder 1907 Russells in Australia appeared in Rod & Gun & Motor Sports in Canada in 1908.  In 1907, the shape of the radiator trim was changed slightly and the two cylinder models received a flat topped dash, similar to the 1906 Model C.  (Source: cs.trains.com)


CCM Dealer 1907
This postcard image shows one of the earliest automobile dealers in Queensland, Australia - The Canada Cycle & Motor Agency in Brisbane.  They were importers of a variety of cars, including Russells.  The car on the left is a 1907 Russell.    Click the image for larger view.  (source: RACQ Living)


1907 Russell Model E
This 1907 Russell Model E belonged to Mr. A. A. Baylis of Ottawa.  Baylis worked in Real Estate as well as investments.  He must have been a satisfied customer because he bought another Russell in 1909, a 24 hp Model L.   (submitted by I. Hayhurst)


1907 Russell
This 1907 Russell Model F touring was registered to James A. Patterson of Saint John, New Brunswick.  He was a retailer of fishing gear and manufactured Cape Ann Oil Clothing.  It is unusual to see a Russell this early with a painted radiator.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source:  new Brunswick Museum  1964 147Z.)


1907 Russell
This picture was taken in Blenheim, in Southern New Zealand.  The Griffiths Brothers' Russell is the second car from the right.  Russell Agent G. W. Woods had moderate success importing early Russells, mostly the two cylinder models, but by 1909 he was having more success importing other brands.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source:  VCCNZ Beaded Wheels Magazine Dec. 1965)


1907 Russell Factory
This picture, from Industrial Canada May 1907, shows Russell two cylinder engines being tested at the factory.  Click the image for a larger view.


1907 Russell Factory
Another 1907 Industrial Canada picture showing Russell workers assembling cars.  Click the image for a larger view.


1907
                Russell
This picture of a 1907 Model D Russell appeared in the August 1907 issue of Progress magazine (New Zealand).  Click the image for a larger view.



1907
                Russell
This picture of a 1907 Model F Russell appeared in the August 1907 issue of Progress magazine (New Zealand).  Click the image for a larger view.



1908 CCM truck
This picture appeared in The Busy Man's Magazine (MacLean's) in February of 1908.  Russell had begun producing a two ton chain drive truck around 1907, although the company did not advertise any trucks until 1910.  Truck models included police, ambulance, and delivery trucks as well as a sightseeing bus.  This truck appears to have the column mounted shift lever, like the 1906 cars.  Click the image for a larger view.


1907 Russell truck
This picture also appeared in the February 1908 issue of The Busy Man's Magazine.  It shows a  lighter duty truck with pneumatic tires and shaft drive, and a more refined finish.  The same photo appeared in the February, 1907, edition of Progress magazine in New Zealand with the caption "The Russell Hockey and Golf Brake".  (Can seat 10 passengers)   Click the image for a larger view.


1907 Sightseeing Bus
This is an early Russell sightseeing bus, built on the Russell two ton truck chassis.  This image also appeared in the February, 1907, edition of Progress magazine in New Zealand with the caption "The Russell Char-A-Banc or Open Motor 'Bus".  The bus is described as a 20 passenger, 24 hp vehicle, fitted with Swinhart solid tires.   Click the image for a larger view.   (Source:  The Busy Man's Magazine, Feb. 1908)

1907 Tally-Ho
This image shows the first sightseeing bus in Vancouver, circa 1908, taking riders around Stanley Park.  The vehicle was owned by A.L. Stirton and is identified as a Russell although it probably has a locally built body.  It has solid tires and chain drive.  The young fellow in the front seat is holding a bugle, which he would blow at the various hotel stops to signal the arrival of the Tally-Ho.   Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: Vancouver Archives)


1907 Russell bus
This is another view of the Cheerie Park-Tally-Ho bus in Stanley Park.  Interestingly, this same vehicle turns up a few years later in Anacortes, Washington, operating under the same business name.  (source: New Westminster Archives, item #IHP0113)


1907 Russell bus
In Anacortes, Washington, the Tally-Ho took sightseers out along Lake Forest Drive. Anacortes businessman John Wagner is in the rear seat of auto at the far side. His wife and sons are probably in the seat next to him. Nineteen people are aboard for an excursion around Anacortes and Lake Forest Drive (later changed to Heart Lake Road).

The ANACORTES AMERICAN, date unknown, states: "... Pictured above is an auto/bus with a capacity of 20 occupants and one of the first automobiles in Anacortes. Included are Wagners and Lowmans off on an all-day outing."  Allie Burdon Soule (possibly) sits in the 2nd row of seats from the left with back to front of bus. She was identified by her daughter, Jean Forrest.  (source: Anacortes Museum)



1907 Vancouver Auto Company
This picture was taken circa 1907 in front of the B.C. Auto Company in Vancouver, agents for Buick and Russell cars.  The caption on the back lists the cars and some of the people shown.  Of note is the last item, the vehicle on the farthest left, identified as "Russel [sic] Sight seeing car sold to Mr. Sterton [sic] for trips around Stanley Park."  This would be the same vehicle shown in the previous picture.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: Burnaby Archives)


1908 Russell winners
On Easter Monday, 1908, Southland's (New Zealand) first organized motor races were held before thousands of spectators.  A Russell won each of the three heats.  In this picture are (L-R): 1907 Model E (W.A. Printz), 1906 Model B (A.J. Johnstone), 1906 Model B (E.B. McKay), the eventual winner.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: Progress Magazine July, 1908


1906 Russell
"Ebe" McKay, the winner of the Invercargill races on Easter Monday, 1908.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: Progress Magazine July 1908)


1907
                Russell
This is W.A. Printz in his 1907 Russell Model E, one of the winners in the 1908 Easter Monday races.  The following month Printz, accompanied by Russell agent G.W. Woods, completed the 145 mile drive from Dunedin to Invercargill (New Zealand) in a record time of 5 hours, 45 minutes.  This accomplishment touched off a very public, year long series of disputes and challenges between Woods and Thomas Stone, the De Don agent.  Details can be found in the Articles section of this website.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: Progress Magazine, September 1908)


1907 Russell
This car is reported to have been the first car in Gympie, Queensland, Australia.  It is a two cylinder Russell, either a 1907 Model D or a 1908 Model G.  The car was owned by Mr. Septimus Street, a self-taught mechanic who repaired bicycles and operated his car as a hire car.  In this photo he is leading the parade at the annual Sports Day in 1909.  His passengers include the mayor and several other men who would also serve as Gympie mayor.  It appears the the car has a bit of a dent along the left side of the radiator.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: Gympie Regional Library oai:bishop.slq.qld.gov.au:288299)


1907 Russell
Here is another view of Septimus Street's Russell, from a 1911 advertisement for his bicycle shop.  Note that there is a box on each running board, perhaps a tool box on one side and a battery box on the other.  Click the image for a larger view.   (Source:  Gympie Regional Library)


1908 Russell
This is the 1908 Russell Model L that is on display at the Western Development Museum in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.  It was originally purchased by by Fred Green, an organizer with the Saskatchewan Grain Growers' Association. He purchased the car in Winnipeg and drove it all over Saskatchewan until his death in 1915.  At that time the car was put into storage.  It was acquired by the museum in 1948.  The V-shaped crank bracket in front of the radiator seems to have appeared on the 1908 four cylinder models and lasted through 1909.   (source: Western Development Museum)


1908 Russell
This was one of the first cars to appear in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.  It appears to be a 1908?  Russell Model L.  According to the archives notes the picture was taken in Spring of 1911.  The driver is Fred Edmanson and the passengers (L-R) are George McDonald and Chris Doonan.


New Zealand mail car
A circa 1908 Russell used by New Zealand's Royal Mail service.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: The Busy Man's Magazine)


1907 Russell Mail Truck
This is another picture of a Russell mail truck, from Progress magazine, August 1908.  Wellington began motorized mail delivery in July of 1908 and were reporting delivery times were cut in half.  Unfortunately, by February of 1910 Progress was reporting that the motorized mail delivery in Wellington had been discontinued due to the high operating costs.  Tire and fuel costs were noted as the chief factors.  The truck is  a two cylinder 18 HP, probably a 1907 Model D.  (The 1908 Model G cars did not have the curved rear fender tips.)  It is fitted with Swinehard solid rubber tires.  Click the image for a larger view.


1908 Russell K
This group of onlookers is getting their first look at an airplane, in Weston, Ontario in July 1910.  Their car is a 1908 Russell Model K.  The fifty horsepower, seven passenger touring sold for $4500.


1908 Russell
This picture is from the Archives of Ontario Eaton Archives and is labelled as 1904, but all the cars appear to be newer than 1904.  The occasion is an outing of the Toronto Automobile Club.  J.C. Eaton, one of the club's founders, is driving the second car from the left which appears to be a 1909 Cadillac.  The car on the right is a Russell 7 passenger, probably a 1908 Model K.  Tommy Russell was active in this group and is probably in this car. 

The other cars appear to be Packards, with their distinctive hooded fenders and belted hoods - features which would become part of the Russell brand beginning 1909.   Click the image for a larger view.



1908 Russell Limousine
This is another 1908 Model K, with a limousine body.  The car belonged to Senator George Cox.  The senator was one of the men behind the formation of the Canada Cycle and Motor Company back in 1899.  Click the image for a larger view.   (source: "A Great Way to Go: The Automobile in Canada")


1908 Russell
This 1908 Russell Model G was saved from the scrap yard by Barney Pollard in Detroit sometime around the 1940s or 50s.  Pollard collected hundreds of cars, hanging them from the rafters to squeeze more in.  Many of them sagged down and rested in the mud, causing serious rust damage to the rear portions, like this car.

In the 1970s the collection was auctioned off after a fire destroyed about 100 cars.  This car was purchased by Stan Reynolds in Alberta to become part of his collection, which is now the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskawin, Alberta.  The car remains in this condition as of 2020.   Click the image for a larger view.  (source: Jeff Lee)



1909 CCM postcard
This postcard image shows the Canada Cycle & Motor Agency's new warehouse and garage in Brisbane, Australia.  The building was probably built sometime around 1909.  Canada Cycle & Motor Agency was not part of the CCM company.  Click the image for a larger view.


1910 Russell Roadster
George Kerr was a homesteader north of Franklin, Manitoba, in the 1870s.  Along with his brothers, he became quite wealthy in the lumber business.  In 1909 he purchased three Russell cars.  He gave one to his doctor, Dr. Coad (seated in the car), one to his brother Robert, and kept one for himself.  This appears to be a 1909 Model L roadster. (source: Manitoba Historical Society)


1909 Russell Model K
A 1909 Model K Seven Passenger Touring.  This may have been a CCM promotional shot as the car looks to be quite new.  The toolbox and spare tire are not on the running board.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: Floyd Clymer's Historical Motor Scrapbook)


1909 Russell Model L
A 1909 Russell (Model L?).  The rear passenger appears to be sitting on a running board mounted seat.  Click the image for a larger view.   (Source: MacLean's Magazine)


1909 Russell
This image appeared in the February 1909 issue of Industrial Canada and was also used in Russell ads that year.  John C. Eaton was the  head of the T. Eaton Company and was known as the first person in Toronto to own a car.  He held Ontario licence number 1.  He purchased this 50HP Russell Model K ($4500) at the 1908 Toronto Auto Show and CCM was quick to let the public know about his choice.  Eaton was also one of the organizers of the first Toronto Auto Club (1903).  Click the image for a larger view.


1910 Russell 38
This excellent image show Mr. J. F. Cairns and family in their very new looking 1910 Russell-Knight "38".  J. F. Cairns was a very prominent businessman and civic leader in Saskatoon.  He owned the largest store in town, which was eventually bought out by the Hudson's Bay Company, and was active in politics and recreational life in Saskatoon.  He was the first president of the Saskatchewan Auto club.

In this picture, the Cairns car has no top, although the top supports are all there.  Also missing is the spare tire, although the brackets are there.  Note the monogram on the rear door, the Prestolite tank on the running board, and the extra long speedometer cable hanging down beneath the front fender.  The car also has optional seat covers and painted radiator.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Courtesy of Saskatoon Public Library, Item #LH-6441)



1910 russells
This picture was taken on the same occasion as the previous one.  The building in the background is the J. F. Cairns store.  The car parked behind the Russell "38" may be a 1910 Russell Model R "30".  Click the image for a larger view.  (Courtesy of Saskatoon Public Library, Item #PH-95-86-1) 


1910 Russell
This picture shows the Winnipeg Auto Club Annual Tour stop in Boissevain, Manitoba.  It was labelled as 1911, but Manitoba began using porcelain licence plates in that year.  These cars are all displaying leather licence plates so this would be the 1910 tour.  Car #5 (bottom right) appears to be a 1910 Russell "30."  Boissevain is about 170 miles from Winnipeg, a considerable drive in 1910.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source:  Winnipeg Public Library, Rob McInnes Postcard Collection, item #MN0149)


1910 Russell
This is an interesting picture of a 1910 or 1911 Russell.  It could be  Model "30" seven passenger or a Knight engined Model "22".  It appears to be quite new as you can see the reflection of the Rushmore carbide generator in the paint just above it.  Russell bodies had 20 coats of finish applied before leaving the factory.  This car has a painted radiator shell instead of brass.  Surprisingly, it has no spare tire (not even the mounting brackets to hold one).

If the 1911 Russell sales brochure drawings can be trusted this car is a 1911 Model "30" Seven Passenger Touring.  Identifying features include: 14 spoke wheels, small Rushmore headlights, and no horizontal door trim across the rear door.  For 1911 this model continued with outside shift even though most other 1911 models had inside shift.  The seven passenger Model "30" was built on the 120" chassis of the 1910 Model "22" and it may be that the factory was using up some leftover 1910 Model "22" bodies.    Click the image for a larger view.   (source:  M. Flanagan) 


1910 Russell
This picture, dated 1912, shows a group of Alberta Antelope hunters with their prey.  The car looks like a 1910 Russell R.  Note the CPR logo on the car.  Perhaps this was a hunting excursion from the Banff Hotel?  With five men, a dog, and two antelope, the ride home must have been crowded!   Click the image for a larger view. (source: "A Great Way to Go: The Automobile in Canada")


1911 Russell-Knight
Toronto's streets were not ideal in 1912 when this Russell owner ventured out.  It has a one-piece dash and an outside shift, suggesting it is 1911 Russell-Knight Model "30" seven passenger touring.  Registration number 1014 was issued to Mr. A.G. Mather of Ottawa.


1911 Russell
Another view of A. G. Matherís 1911 Russell ď30Ē seven passenger touring stuck in the mud.  For 1911 Russell moved the shift inside the body, but not on this model, perhaps using up some leftover 1910 bodies.  Also visible is the rear window pattern that is seen elsewhere on this page. (source: Toronto Archives)


1910 Russell
A year later, but not much better.  This appears to be a 1910 Russell Knight Model "22".  The licence plate (1913?) number begins with 'M'.  Does anyone know what this tells us?   Click the image for a larger view.



1910 Russell-Knight
On August 15, 1910, Canadian Prime Minister Wilfred Laurier opened the first Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver.  Spotted among the crowds and cars was this 1910 Russell-Knight "38" seven passenger touring.  Perhaps this car delivered some of the many dignitaries who attended the event.  Is that a flag draped over the folded top?  Parked just out of picture on the right is a 1910 Napier much like the one that carried the Prime Minister.  Click the image for a larger view. (Source: Vancouver archives)


1910 Russell
This unidentified picture appears to show a 1911 Russell, possibly a Model "30" 7 passenger touring.   It has the two-piece dash and outside shift of the 1910 models.  However, the body side moldings are near the tops of the doors, not in the centre as the 1910 models were.  The location of the horn bulb along the body sill was typical of Russells 1910 - 1912. Note the covered side lamp.  These covers were listed in CCM's accessory catalogue for $1.50.


1910 Russell-Knight
This appears to be a 1910 Russell-Knight "22" belonging to MacLaren Bros. Real Estate in Calgary.  The Rushmore generator shows clearly because the car is missing its spare tire.  (Source:  Glenbow Archives)


1910 Russell-Knight
This is another view of the MacLaren brothers' car, perhaps with the brothers in it?  (Source: Glenbow Archives)


1910 Russells
The MacLaren brothers appear to have had a pair of Russells.  Both cars have the distinctive fender mounted taillight.  The one on the left is an open door model with 14 spoke wheels, probably a 1910 Russell Model R "30".  The one on the right has the small front doors and is a 1910 Russell-Knight "22."


1910 Russell
                Runabout
A 1910 Russell "30" Runabout belonging to Joseph Flavelle.  The Russell "30" models had the 14 spoke wheels.  (Source: Toronto World, Feb. 1911)


1910 Russell
The notes in the Glenbow Archives identify this scene as a group of hunters picknicking near Strathmore, Alberta, and the car as a Russell.  It appears to be a 1910 or 1911 Russell "30"  with the rare Toy Tonneau body style.  The photo was taken in 1913 and the car appears well-worn.  In the photo are Tommy Robinson and Hugh Berry, along with two unknowns.


1910 Russell-Knight
This poor quality image was found in a June 4, 1911 copy of the Toronto World.  Children from the East End Day Nursery are being given a ride to a free concert in a car provided by W. N. McEachren.  McEachren was a prominent lumberman and developer and had registration #5846 in the 1911 Ontario registration book.  In 1917 his daughter married J. W. Flavelle's son.  The car is a 1910 Russell-Knight.


1910 Russell-Knight
It's tough to see, but this may be a 1910 Russell-Knight "22" Touring.  The picture was taken on Foster Ave. in Perth, Ontario, likely in 1912.  Behind the car is the building that housed "The Palm Gardens."  Is this before the Gardens opened?  This may be the same car that was stored in the McLaren barn on Scotch Line Rd. until 1948.   That car is now in the Vancouver, BC, area and is used regularly.  Can anyone find registration information for Ontario Plate (1912) number 12463?   

In recent Perth history books the car in this picture has been identified as either "the Senator's car"  (Senator Peter McLaren) or "Millie McLaren's car".  (It is not known who Millie McLaren was, but the Senator's son was named Willie McLaren).

The parade may have been part of the 66th annual South Lanark Fair in September, 1912.  To mark the opening of the new fairgrounds in Perth, a flower parade traveled through the town from the old grounds to the new grounds with many people lining the streets.  The Perth Courier's account of the parade lists Willie McLaren as one of the participants in the motor car parade.  Click the image for a larger view,


1910 Russell Limo
This appears to be a 1910 - 1911 Russell Limousine, parked in the centre of an intersection waiting for the passengers to be picked up.  (Source: Toronto Archives)


1910 Russell in ad
This tobacco ad, which appeared in The Canadian Magazine in April 1911, very clearly features a Russell (1910?).  Is there a reason for that?  Perhaps it is the car of choice for Canadian pipe smokers?  Or could it be a subtle reference to the Knight engine, known to be a smoker?  Click the image to view the full ad.


1911 Cavalcade to
              Banff

1911 Cavalcade to Banff

1911 Cavalcade to Banff
The three pictures above show the Calgary Auto Club on excursions to Banff, 1910 and 1911.  In the top two pictures, one car has its taillight mounted right on the left rear fender and centre mounted licence plate, typical of Russell cars.  On close examination you can possibly make out the pattern of the rear window, with two short panes across the top and two taller panes across the bottom.  This pattern is seen in photos of other Russells in this collection.  The third picture shows the front views with the third car from the right having the same window pattern.  While these pictures are not conclusive, it appears that the car in question may be a 1910 - 1911 Russell.


1911 Russell
This image is labelled as an automobile rally in 1914 in Lillooet, B.C..  The second car from the left has B.C. plate #2503 and is a well-worn 1911 Russell (Model "30" or Model "22") registered to Angelo Rebagliati of Lytton, B.C.  Mr. Rebagliati ran the General Store and Lumber Yard that small community.  The drive between the two towns is about 40 miles and travels through a very rugged portion of the Fraser Canyon. 

The car on the right may also be a Russell.  It has Russell-like flat front fenders, although the left one is rather crumpled. If it is a Russell it is a 1910 (Model "30") due to its two piece dash.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source:  B.C. Archives, item #A-03541)



Russell Limousine
This Post Card, postmarked July 1913, appears to show a 1910-11 Russell Model "30" Landaulet with updated fenders.  Perhaps even the body was an update to the original car.  The licence plate is from Quebec. (source: HCCA Ontario)


1911 Russell-Knight
              22
1911 Russell-Knight "22": This picture is from the 1911 Russell sales catalogue.  In 1911 the Model "22" shared the shorter wheelbase and smaller wheels of the Model "30".


1911 Russell-Knight
              26
1911 Russell-Knight "26": From the 1911 Russell sales catalogue.  The Model "26" was new for this year, the larger engine occupying the 120 inch frame that had previously been the Model "22".


1911 Russell-Knight
              38
1911 Russell-Knight "38": From the 1911 Russell sales catalogue.  The Model "38" was the biggest and most expensive of the Russell-Knight lineup.

1911 Russell-Knight
              38
1911 Russell-Knight "38": From the 1911 Russell sales catalogue.  The 1911 bodies had sleeker lines with inside shift and brake levers.


1911 Russell
The car in this picture may be a 1911 Russell, perhaps a Model "22".  It could be the Calgary police chief's car, judging by the way it is posed with this Calgary police vehicle and its uniformed passenger.


Russell-knight in
              Snow
Each Russell was driven about 100 miles on a track and around Toronto for thorough testing.  If it was deemed ready to go, the body was mounted and new wheels installed, to be ready for shipping.  (source: Lost Toronto)


1911 Water Famine
In January, 1911, ice flows blocked the intake pipes of Toronto's reservoir creating "The Water Famine."  This photo shows the Canada Cycle & Motor Company's attempts to cope with the shortage.  Click the image for a larger view.


1911 Russell-Knight


1911 Russell-Knight

1911 Russell-Knight
The three images above all show the official car of the Mayor of Calgary.  It is a 1911 Russell-Knight seven passenger touring, a model "38".  Shown in the third picture is Calgary mayor John Mitchell, who was mayor for the 1911 and 1912 calendar years, so the car is quite new.  The two top pictures are circa 1914-15.  Note the crest on the rear doors of the car.  This was something that could be ordered from the factory for a cost of $3.00.


1912 Russell
Another picture of the Calgary mayor's 1911 Russell "38", this time outside the Albion Hotel.


1912 Russell
Another picture of the Calgary mayor's 1911 Russell "38" outside the Albion Hotel.


The Automobile Livery
In 1911, The Automobile Livery Co. in Toronto had a fleet of Russell-Knight cars at your service, to be rented by the hour or by the day.  The 1913 Toronto Directory shows the company address as 197 Victoria and lists E. W. Chantler as secretary.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: The Toronto World)


1911 Russell-Knight
This 1911 Russell-Knight "38" was registered to Mr. L.G.B. Ellam of Vancouver.  Mr. Ellam is listed as a chauffeur for the Georgia St. Auto Service.  It appears he was in the sight-seeing business, stopping at the hollow tree in Stanley Park for this group photo.  It seems that some cars had loop style door handles like this one while others had straight handles.  L. G. B. Ellam purchased another Russell, a 1912 model, in July of 1912.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: Vancouver Archives)


1911 Russell Flavelle
A 1911 Russell-Knight at the residence of Sir Joseph W. Flavelle.  Flavelle had the largest pork packing business in the British Empire and went on to be involved in other high level Canadian businesses. He was one of the men involved in 1899 formation of CCM and was also a mentor to Thomas Russell.  During World War I he became chairman of the Imperial Munitions Board and as such had a role in shaping Russell's wartime munitions production.  (Source: Toronto Archives)


1911 Russell-Knight
This image shows Mr. Richard Hall, with his wife and daughter, in the back of his car.  The car is being driven by Hall's son and the location is just outside Victoria, B.C.  The car is a 1911 Russell-Knight, B.C. registration number 149.  Mr. Hall arrived in Victoria around 1880 and worked in whaling and sealing.  He served as a B.C. MLA from 1898 - 1907 and was also active in the coal and insurance industries.   The young daughter in the back seat eventually married into the Dunsmuir family, well-known for their coal and political involvement in British Columbia.   Mr. Hall died in 1918.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: M. Flanagan)


The following six pictures show the same car ...

1911 Russell-Knight
This is the Richard Hall car again.  In this photo the $5000 car shows jump seats as well as factory seat covers, an $80 option.   This seven passenger touring is a Model "38", evident by the five bow top.  The shorter wheelbase models had only four top bows.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: M. Flanagan)


1911 Russell-Knight
This photo of the Hall car was taken at Great Central Lake, North of Port Alberni in the middle of Vancouver Island.  On today's routes this is a 145 mile drive and still out of the way.  It would have been a long, rugged journey in 1911.  The car looks quite new here as you can see some reflection in the rear door.   It has its seat covers on and still has the belt over the hood. The bumper was a $12 option.  It also has Gray & Davis lights, although some 1911 models retained the earlier Rushmore lights.   Strangely, the left windshield to frame support appears to be missing its top half.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: M. Flanagan)


1911 Russell-Knight
This picture may have been on the same trip as the one above.  The Russell-Knight still has its hood belt and seat covers and they are obviously out in the wilderness somewhere.  The car in front is a 1911 Mitchell which appears in many of the family photos.  It was registered to Mr. A.T. Lemon of Victoria.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: M. Flanagan)


1911 Russell-Knight
Here is another photo of the Hall car, along with their "other car," a 1911 Winton.  The Halls had a preference for high-end cars.  In this photo seat covers are still on and the left windshield to frame support is still half missing.   Click the image for a larger view.  (source: M. Flanagan)


1911 Russell-Knight
This may be the same car as the picture above shows, but at a later date.  The windshield has been replaced with a lower, more modern styled one, perhaps from a 1913-14 Russell-Knight.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: M. Flanagan)


1911 Russell-Knight
This picture just shows a glimpse of Richard Hall's 1911 Russell-Knight behind T.A. Lemon's Mitchell.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: M. Flanagan)  


1911 Russell-Knight
A final picture from the Flanagan collection shows another(?) Russell in behind their Winton.  This may be Richard Hall's car, but it has a  different top (4 bows instead of 5) and appears to be an outside shift.
  It has 12 spoke wheels so it is not the Seven Passenger Model "30" shown in an earlier picture.  It could be a 1910 model.  It has a Prestolite tank on the running board instead of a generator.  (source: M. Flanagan)


1911 Russell
This picture shows Joe and Lizzie Price (rear) along with sons Leslie and Earl (driving).  Seated next to Earl is his wife or fiancee Hazel.  The car is a 1911 Russell-Knight Model "38" and probably had Ontario plate #1818.  The family lived in Toronto, where Joe Price had a successful advertising business and was also a builder.  Learn more about the Price family at the Price Family History website.  (source: P. Warner, Price Family History.)


1911 Russell-Knight
By 1914, jitneys were appearing on the streets of many cities.  Jitneys would travel near the streetcar lines, picking up passengers for a small fee (in this case five cents).  This picture was taken in Vancouver in 1915.  The car is a 1911 Russell-Knight seven passenger touring and it belonged to Mr. A.M. Forbes until at least 1919.  Click the image for a larger view. (source: City of Vancouver Archives1911 AM54-S4 Trans N87.03)


1911 Russell-Knight
This may be the same Russell-Knight as in the above picture, B.C. 2456, although this picture was taken before the first B.C. plates were issued in 1913.  Interestingly, this location is on Vancouver Island, quite a drive from the Vancouver location above.  It's unusual to see a rear bumper on a car of this era.  (Source B.C. Archives)


1911 Russell
Based solely on the fender mounted taillight, this could be a 1911 or 1912 Russell-Knight.  The picture was taken at Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island.


1911 Russell-Knight Jitney
Another 1911 Russell-Knight being used as a jitney, this time in Toronto.  (Source: Toronto Archives)


1911 Russell
This image was on a postcard and shows James McLean (front passenger).  He lived in the Richmond Hill area and this was his first car.  It appears to be a 1911 or 1912 Russell "30".  Note the electric headlights.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: Richmond Hill Public Library Postcard Collection)


1911 Russell
Judging from the fender mounted taillight and the squared-off windshield, this looks like a circa 1911 Russell-Knight.  Other supporting indicators could be the centre mounted licence plate, the three quarter elliptical springs, and the puff of smoke that seems to be apparent at the left rear of the car.  (source: Toronto Archives)


Russell at night
Could this be a Russell-Knight at night?  It has the fender mounted taillight and the rear window pattern shown in other photos, such as the Winnipeg Reliability Run photo.  Notice the tire chains for winter driving.  (Source: Toronto Archives)


1911 Russell
                Landaulet
This picture is labelled as the 1919 visit of the Prince of Wales to New Westminster, B.C., but it is probably the 1912 visit of the Duke of Connaught.  The car appears to be a 1912 Russell-Knight Landaulet, fitted with electric lights.  The car following looks very similar.

A view of this car driving can be found at the 36 second mark of this City of Vancouver Archives video link: https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/1912-duke-and-duchess-visit .    The brief appearance of the car is also at this link:  https://youtu.be/NDa9pp-fbJM


Winnipeg Sociability Run
On August 17, 1912, twenty-seven Russells were lined up for the Winnipeg Sociability Run. They appear to be mostly 1911 and 1912, both Russell and Russell-Knight models.  The run went to Portage La Prairie and back, about 60 miles each way, and included about 100 other cars as well.   Unfortunately, one of the Russells went off the road and experienced a serious crash along the way.   Click the image to view the full image.  (source: taxi-library.org)

1912 Russell

This is a 1912 Russell-Knight "38" seven passenger touring.  The five bow top and the extra length between the rear door and the beginning of the seat arm indicates it is on the longer wheelbase of the "38",


1912
                Russell
This group is heading out on some sort of special trip in their 1912 Russell Model "30".  The pennant on the driver's side says "Toronto."  Click the image for a larger view.


1912 Russell
This looks like a 1912 Russell Touring after a good day's fishing.  Distinguishing features are the exposed brake arms in front of the rear fender as well as the brake linkage at the wheel.  The body trim that extends below both doors places it as a 1912 model.  The frame details and spare tire bracket also look like those on a Russell.  Note the factory seat covers and fine pin striping.


1912 Russell
This is the front view of the car in the previous picture.  It has some after market springs added to help on the rugged Alberta roads and appears to have had a bumper mounted to the front of the frame.  It is probably a Russell "30" and looks to be in pretty good condition for an off-road" vehicle.  Note the diamond pattern of the rear window also the unusual headlight forks that mount to the fender instead of down to the frame.   These headlight forks seemed to appear with the 1912 models.


1912 Russell
This is probably a 1912 Russell-Knight "38".  It belonged to G.W. West of Innisfail, Alberta.  In the back seat  (L-R) are Mrs. G.W. West, F. O. West, and G. W. West.  In the front seat are Jack (chauffeur) holding baby Bernard Stitt, and someone named Gladys.


1912 Russell
In 1913, these two cars were photographed on the streets of Edmonton, on their way to Summerland.  The car on the left is a 1912 Russell Touring, either a Model "30" or a Model "22"  (Summerland, B.C. would be very long drive for these two loaded cars - perhaps there was an area near Edmonton that was known as Summerland?)


1912 Russells
In 1911, the Canadian Pacific Irrigation Company purchased six Russell "30" cars for use in their prairie irrigation projects.  The company already had several Russell in use and claimed they were the only cars that could stand up to the harsh driving conditions.

This picture was taken at Bassano Dam on the Bow River in Eastern Alberta.  A group of people is visiting the dam prior to its opening and they have been travelling in three of the company's Russells.  The licence plates on the cars appear to be 1914 (black on white), although they could be 1915 (black on yellow).  The car in the foreground is a 1911 model but the car on the left is 1910 (it has a two piece dash).   The Russells appear to have held up very well.

Construction was begun on the dam in 1910 and it was opened in 1915, so the occasion could have been the opening or a pre-opening inspection of some sort.  The building of the dam was a major undertaking - over a mile long and costing 17 million dollars.   Click the image for a larger view.



1912 Russell
This picture of a 1912 Russell "30" was taken at Stanley Park's Hollow Tree (Vancouver) in 1915.  The car was registered to Mr. Hanlon G. Wickwire who came to B.C. in 1910 as a builder and worked with his brothers in Real Estate.  By 1915 he was listed as a Chauffeur and it is likely he who is behind the wheel for this sightseeing trip through the park.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: B.C. Archives)


1912 Russell-Knight
This picture was part of a 1979 Victoria Daily Colonist article about B.C.'s first car, and registration #1.   That number was issued to John Barnsley, manager of the Union Steamship Company in 1904 for his Orient Buckboard.  He replaced that car a few years later with a Clement-Talbot and in 1912 bought a Russell-Knight.  Each of these cars kept registration #1.  This picture may show Barnsley's Russell-Knight.  If so, it would have been the recipient of B.C.'s first licence plate (#1) when the province began issuing plates in 1913.  (source: Victoria Daily Colonist)


1912 Russell
In September, 1912, the people of Calgary turned out to see the Duke and Duchess of Connaught.  The Duke was the third son of Queen Victoria and had been named as Canada's Governor General in 1911.  Here they are seen travelling in a 1912 Russell-Knight "38".


1912 Russell Touring
A 1912 Russell-Knight "38" decked out for some sort of occasion.  The "38" often had 10 spoke front wheels.  This one has a bumper and a very nice set of accessory headlamps.  Click the image for a larger view.


1912 Russell-Knight
This 1911 Russell-Knight was registered to Hon. William Templeman, Canadian Senator (1897 - 1906) and Member of Parliament / Cabinet Minister (1906 - 1911) for the Victoria, B.C., area.  He died in 1914.  This picture was taken at Mill Bay on Vancouver Island.  (source: Victoria archives)


1912 Russell-Knight
This 1912 Russell-Knight "38" is posed in front of the B.C. Legislature in Victoria alongside three Cadillacs - two 1913s and a 1911.  One of the 1913 Cadillacs likely belongs to E.A. Todd, the founder of the "Good Roads" movement in Western Canada.  Each car appears to have six men in it, making for a pretty large gathering for this occasion. Click the picture to view the full image. (source: Victoria archives)


1912 Russell
This appears to be a 1912 Russell.  The Victoria police officer is posing with the occupants of the car, which doesn't appear to be too new at this time.


1912 Russell-Knight
A 1912 Russell-Knight "38" at the Hollow Tree in Stanley Park, Vancouver.  This car, B.C. registration number 857, was registered to Helen A. Wallbridge from 1911 to 1916.  The driver is Mr. George Linsey who was the chauffeur for the Swedish Consul in Vancouver.  In the back are Mrs. Linsey and a nanny who is holding the Linsey's twin sons.  Mrs. Wallbridge's husband was a mining broker, so it seems that this was not the car that Mr. Linsey drove as chauffeur.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: L. Findlay)


1912
                Russell
This scene was part of the Canadian Manufacturer's Association Maritimes Excursion in 1913.  A large group of CMA members travelled by train to visit the maritime provinces.  Upon arrival in St. John, New Brunswick, the members were taken around the town by local manufacturers.  This group appears to be travelling in a 1912 Russell-Knight "38" seven passenger touring.  The location of the inside door handle is a change for this year.  previously, the handle extended through the top of the door.  Click the image for a larger view.   (source:  Industrial Canada, Nov. 1913)


1912
              Russell-Knight Firetruck
During World War I, funding was scarce for the Victoria, B.C., Fire Department.  So, during that time they converted two cars into firetrucks.  One was a Kissel Kar and the other was this 1911 Russell-Knight "38".  The frame was extended and the firetruck apparatus added.  This truck was used in Victoria for two years before being sold to the nearby Saanich Fire Department.  (source:  "First Water, Tigers" history of the Victoria Fire Department)


1912 Russell
                Firetruck
Another shot of the 1911 Russell-Knight firetruck.  This one was taken in the 1920s while it was in service with the Saanich Fire department.  At the time it was Saanich's only truck and it remained in use until they purchased their second truck (a Cadillac) in 1926.  It looks like they have beefed up the rear end with stronger wheels and larger tires.  (source: Saanich Fire Department)


1912
              Russell-Knight Limousine
This 1912 Russell-Knight may be the "small" limousine, perhaps a model "26".  The location is the 1912 Auto Show at the Toronto Armouries and the woman is identified as Miss Dyment.  It is possible that the car belonged to, or was hired by, Mr. Albert Edward Dyment who was a three term MP representing East Algoma.


1912 Russell
                Landaulet
This 1912 Russell Landaulet was owned by a Vancouver car hire company called Terminal City Motors.  In this picture from 1914 it was being used in a funeral procession.  Terminal City Motors became a taxi company  and operated in Vancouver through the 1920s.  (source: Vancouver Archives  AM54-S4-: Str P115)


1912 Russell
                Landaulet
This very clear image shows the Terminal City Motors' Russell Landaulet with wonderful detail. It appears to be a Model "30" Russell.  It has electric side and tail lamps but gas head lamps.  It is also interesting to see that the head and side lamps are painted but the radiator is not.  It is probably nickel plated.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: Vancouver Archives AM1535-: CVA 99-78)


1912 Russell-Knight
                  Limousine
A 1912 Russell-Knight Limousine as shown in the February 1913 issue of MacLean's magazine.  Click the image for a larger view.


1912 Russell Jitney
This is another Russell jitney on the streets of Vancouver in 1914.  It is a 1912 Russell-Knight "22".  Business appears to be very good.  Notice the car is driving on the left side of the road.  British Columbia didn't change to the right side of the road until 1921.  This car was originally registered to Charles Gardner-Johnson but was sold to E. A. Hooper by this time.  During WWI it was shipped to Prince Rupert for use by the Royal Taxi Service and the Prince Rupert Auto Company, then to John Russell Smith in Smithers in 1919.


1912 Russell Torpedo
Another rare body style - the 5 passenger Torpedo.  This is probably a 1912 with its squared off fenders, but notice that it has electric lights - an option that year.  This car appears to be sporting an Ontario Motor League radiator cap.

Aemilius Jarvis was a very successful businessman, founding the steel Company of Canada and serving as President of the Trader's Bank of Canada, among other accomplishments.  He was also a champion equestrian and yachtsman and was involved in the formation of the Royal Canadian Navy during World War I.


1912 Russell-Knight
                Torpedo
Here is another 1912 Torpedo.  This one has gas lamps but wire wheels.   Plate # 855 was registered to Thomas Long, a successful businessman and provincial politician.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: "A Great Way To Go: The Automobile in Canada)


1912 Russell
Australian newspaper articles reveal that some Russells were imported as "chassis-only" and then received bodies from local body builders.  It is believed the body builder was James Flood & Co. in Melbourne, the largest body builder in Australia.

This 1912 Russell belonged to Mr. William H. Kennedy and the picture was taken at Mt. Gambier.  It is probably a Model R "30".  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: State Library of Australia oai:collections.slsa.sa.gov.au:(AuASA)b20315533)



1912 Russell-Knight
This circa 1913 Vancouver image shows the view looking East along Hastings St. from Hornby.  The second car from the bottom is a 1912 Russell-Knight Model "26" roadster.  Distinctive features are its flat front and rear fenders as well as the windshield.  The inside shift makes it a 1912 model, as the 1911 roadsters still had an outside shift.

Also in this picture may be a 1911 or 1912 Russell-Knight "38" touring.  It's the fifth car from the bottom, hiding behind another and facing away from the curb.  There's not much to be seen, but the radiator looks like it could be Russell and it has the belt loop on the hood.  The jump seats and five bow top would make it a Model "38".  Click the image for a larger view.  (source:  Vancouver Archives, item number Str P372)



Russell
              Motor Car Garage Hamilton
A lineup of 1912 Russells in Hamilton, Ontario.  From left to right are a roadster (with wire wheels), torpedo, and two touring cars.  The Hamilton garage was located at 24 - 26 Charles St. from 1912 - 1916.  The passenger in the car on the right is Lloyd Evans.  (source: Hamilton Public Library Archives & Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society)


1913 Russell-Knight?
Could this be a 1913 Russell-Knight "38"?  The body, windshield, and steering wheel look like Russell, but the fenders do not.  In 1913, all Russell advertising seemed to be focused on the new models "28" and "42".  However, the models "22", "26", and "38" were apparently still offered as 1913 models, at least until the much delayed Model "28" was available.  Could it be that these modern fenders were added to the 1912 Model "38" to carry them over into the 1913 model year?  There don't seem to be any other pictures to confirm this.  Click the image for a larger view.


1913
                Russell 28 Lethbridge Fire Dept.
In 1913, the Lethbridge Fire Department motorized their fleet. Their order included this Russell-Knight "28" Touring to serve as their first Fire Squad car.  (Source: lethbridgefirefighters.com)


1912 Russell
In apparent contradiction of the above photo, this picture shows the Lethbridge Fire Department with a motorized vehicle that is older that the 1913 Russell.  This car may also be a Russell (i.e., it has the blunt, flat front fenders like a Russell) but it looks like a 1911 or 1912. 


1913 Russell ad
A 1913 Russell "30" with electric lights, out for a winter drive on the Dufferin Street Pier.  (Source:  Toronto Archives)


1913 Russell
In April of 1913, this Russell-Knight "38" was registered to H. A. Bigelow and William "Wiggs" O'Neill in Northern B.C.  Bigelow was a developer and O'Neill had the contract to clear much of the land that would become Smithers, B.C.   As well, they operated the Auto Stage, carrying passengers from the end of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad at Hazleton to stops along the Bulkley Valley as far as Telkwa.  It was a 12 hour drive, about 60 miles. 

This picture was taken at Glacier House in 1913, a few months after the Russell-Knight had arrived in the north.  The car had an optional front bumper and would have cost about $5300 in Vancouver, before shipping by barge to Prince Rupert and rail or riverboat to Hazleton.  This model was a carry-over from 1912, with electric lights and starter added.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: Bulkley Valley Museum,  item #P0753)


1913 Russell
This is another picture of the Bigelow & O'Neill car.  It was on a postcard and this may have been a promotional item.  The licence plate is 1914 and the sign behind the car seems to be inviting land purchases in an area called Pleasant Valley, which was about 30 miles south of Telkwa. 

It is likely that the man behind the wheel is Wiggs O'Neill.  The man beside him could be H.A. Bigelow and the four men in the back may be potential buyers.  Notice that the car has had a radiator mascot added since the previous picture.  It also has a bit of a crumple in the right front fender.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: Bulkley Valley Museum,  item #P0153)


1913 Russell
In this picture, O'Neill and presumably Bigelow are standing beside the Russell-Knight while a group of people pose in the car.  The picture was taken in 1914 at Round Lake, about 6 miles southeast of Telkwa.  The two men seem to have put a lot of mileage on the car travelling up and down the Bulkley Valley.  Notice that the right front tire is bald.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: Bulkley Valley Museum,  item #P1397)


1913 Russell
This picture was captioned "End of Steel Auto Stage".  Wiggs O'Neill married a woman named Steel, so perhaps the Auto Stage was in her family name.  The picture was taken in Hazleton, at the end of the stage's line.  At the wheel is Olive Wrathall and standing in the back is Jack Wrathall.  (William Wrathall, the photographer, opened his photography business in Hazleton in 1908.)  

The licence plate appears to be black on white, indicating a 1914 date.  The horizontal item below the front door is probably an exhaust whistle, another optional item.  (Source:  Prince Rupert Archives, Record ID 2074)



1913 Russell
This final picture of the Bigelow & O'Neill Russell-Knight shows some roadside repairs near Hazleton.  The front seat cushion has been lifted, suggesting a gas tank or fuel problem, but the people seem to be using a pole to lift the rear wheel - perhaps the car was stuck on a high rock?  The open rear door gives a nice view of the jump seat in the rear.  This picture is also from the William Wrathall collection.

This car eventually ended up in Prince Rupert, where it operated as a taxi for the Ford Taxi Service.  It was in use there until at least 1919. 
  (Source:  Prince Rupert Archives, Record ID 2075)


1913 Toronto Auto Show
The Russell exhibit at the 1913 Toronto Auto Show, featuring three of the new Russell "28".  Click the image for a larger view.   (Source: Maclean's Magazine)


1913 Russell-Knight
Tucked in behind this 1911 Cadillac is a Russell-Knight displaying British Columbia dealer's plate #51.  The event was the opening of Kingsway on September 30, 1913.  The car is probably a 1913 model but it is possible that a dealer could have an early 1914 model by this time.

Kingsway, previously known as Vancouver Road, had been widened and repaved before this re-opening.  The road joined Vancouver and New Westminster and connected to highway 99 to the USA.  Local newspapers reported that 600 motorists joined the parade for this occasion.  Click the image to see the full picture.  (source:  City of Vancouver Archives item AM54-S4-2  CVA 371-2295)



1913 Russell
This picture, taken in 1914 in New Westminster, B.C., shows a 1913 Russell-Knight "28".  The crown shaped radiator cap seems to have been standard on Russells from 1913 on.

At the wheel is the owner, Fred T. Parmiter, and beside him is Mr. Woods, a local bartender.  Parmiter was a farmer.  It is possible that this is the same car as in the previous picture.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: New Westminster Archives item #
IHP7138)



1913 Russell-Knight
This picture appeared in the Sydney Sun (Australia) on April 8, 1914.  Mr. Gardiner drove his 1913 Russell-Knight "30" from Sydney south to Begs and then up the 7000 foot Mount Kosciusko.  The round trip would have been almost 800 miles.  The Sun reported, "Mr. Gardiner drove a 30 h.p. Russell car and speaks well of its performance throughout the run."


1913 Russell
The 1913 Russell-Knight "28" Touring as shown in the 1913 catalogue.  Click the image for a larger view.


1913 Russell Limo
The 1913 Russell-Knight "28" Limousine as shown in the 1913 catalogue.  Click the image for a larger view.


1914 Russell
                Ambulance
A June, 1915, article in The Toronto World, described the contributions of Russell made ambulances to the war effort in France and Belgium.


1914 Russell
                Ambulance
This Russell-Knight six cylinder "42" ambulance was donated to the Toronto General Hospital by John C. Eaton, youngest son of department store magnate Timothy Eaton.  John inherited the T. Eaton Company in 1907 and became president.  In 1915 he was knighted, becoming Sir John Eaton.

In 1926, an article in the Winnipeg Tribune reported that this ambulance was still in service, having covered over 660,000 miles in twelve years.


1914 Russell Ambulance
The first Toronto city ambulance, a Russell-Knight "28".  Note: the newspaper caption seems to confuse this ambulance with the Eaton-donated six cylinder ambulance.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source: Toronto World, July 5, 1914)


1913 Russell
                Limousine
This item appeared in the Toronto World in May of 1913.  J. A. Jacobs was a dry goods merchant who invested in cobalt and silver mines, making a fortune by 1909.  After selling his interests he continued his business interests as a director with several mining companies.  (Busy Manís Magazine, January, 1909)


1915 Russell-Knight
                Ambulance
Although the magazine caption says this is a Russell-Knight ambulance doing Red Cross service, it may be a McLaughlin based on the banner it is carrying.  It's not unusual to see some confusion between the two Canadian makes.  Click the image for a larger view.  (source: Western Call, November 12, 1915)


1914 Russell-Knight
This picture appeared the November, 1913, issue of "Western Canada Motorist" as part of a review of 1914 models.  It shows a 1914 Russell-Knight 42 Berline Limousine, $6200


1914 Russell Interior
A shot of the luxurious interior of the 1914 Russell-Knight "42" Berline Limousine. (source: Western Canadian Motorist)


1914 Russell Six
              engine
The six cylinder Russell-Knight engine, as shown in the Toronto World, February 15, 1914.


1914
              Russell-Knight Limousine
The 1914 Russell-Knight "28" Berline Limousine (source: Toronto World February 15, 1914)


1914
              Russell-Knight Berline Limousine
Sir Edmund Walker was a banker, philanthropist, and patron of the Arts.  He was president of the Bank of Commerce for 35 years and is credited with charting successful courses through many good times and bad.   (Source: Toronto World, February 15, 1914)


1914 Russell
This post card photo shows a 1913 or 1914 Russell-Knight "28".  The licence plate is from Quebec, 1914.  Click the image for a larger view.


1914 Russell
This picture was taken in at an automobile run in Victoria, 1918.  The car at the front of the line on the right may be a 1914 Russell-Knight.  Compared to the picture above, it appears to have the same fenders, radiator, bumper, and cowl lamps.  It also may have the tall Russell "Crown" radiator cap.  The two round windows in the top are the same as the 1914 Russell-Knight in the National Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa.  Click the image for a larger view.  (Source:  B.C. Archives, item #A-00946_141)


1915 Russell Factory
This picture was used in a January 1915 Russell advertisement.  It shows the factory buildings on either side of the street.  (Source: Industrial Canada)


1915
                  Russell
This picture appeared in the same ad as the above image.  It shows a 1915 Russell six cylinder model, likely a "six-48".  Note the sporty wire wheels.  Click the image for a larger view.


Russell Armoured car

The Russell "Death Machine."  In 1914-15 Russell was contracted to build 40 armoured cars for the Canadian Militia, funded largely by John C. Eaton.  The cars were built on a Jeffery truck chassis and powered by a Buda engine.  After testing in Toronto they were shipped to England, where they sat for 2 years without seeing any action.  Eventually half were sent to Ireland and the the other half to India, where they were used until 1928.

The book "War Cars" by David Fletcher suggests that four Russell armoured cars and one Russell-Knight scout car were on board the S.S. Shirala when it was attacked and sunk on July 2, 1918.  The ship was making its way to India and also carried a large quantity of spare parts for the Russell machines.


RMC Munitions

RMC Munitions

RMC Munitions

The above pictures are from a Russell Motor Car Company book titled "A Great Achievement" and dated December 31, 1917.  It presents the work of the Russell employees producing ammunition at the RMC factory during World War I.



Are there more Russell photos, particularly of the later model Russells?
If you have one, please email russell-knight@shaw.ca.



HOME

1905
1906
1907
1908
1909
1910
1911
1912
1913
1914
1915-16









=
+